Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Double Crossed Quilt Pattern

I know it's been a while since I have updated my blog, but sometimes life gets busy (graduations, weddings, and family emergencies).  However, I finaly had a day to start sewing my latest quilt design.



Here's the digital rendering of my quilt Double Crossed.  A 64 x 64 inch - Throw quilt using 16 - 14 inch blocks with a  FQ bundles and 1 1/2 yards for the background. The block uses 3 inch and 2 1/2 inch strips.

A single block looks like this: 

Beautifully simple!  These blocks go together very quickly and I just adore that they make a secondary design - how fun! 


Cut the following pieces: 


  • Piece A - (8) - 3 x 5 inch rectangles of your background 
  • Piece B - (4) - 3 x 7 1/2 inch rectangles for your center cross )2 of each contrasting fabrics)
  • Piece C - (4) 2 1/2 x 5 inch rectangles for your corners to create the seconary smaller cross  design (2 of each contrasting fabrics)
Ready to start sewing (all seams are 1/4 inch and always sew right sides together)
  1. Sew your 4 piece C's to 4 of your piece A's along the 5 inch edge and press as desired.
  2. Sew the last 4 piece C's to the top of the piece AC units so that your piece A's are to the left. Press as desired
  3. Sew the piece B's to the long background edges (the two C edges) of the units you just have sewn together. and press. 

Now lets start assembling your block: 
  1. Sew the 2 of the units together so the the long edge of piece B is sewn to the BC edge of the oposite unit. Press as desired. 
  2. Sew the two large sections together so the long edges of B are top and bottom, oposite of each other. Press as desired. 

Your block should meassure 14 1/2 inches square. Now make 15 more or 19 more if you'd like to make a longer quilt. 

Add boarders as desired.  I opted to add an additional row and skip the boarders as I was too excited to complete my quilt.

I currently have 16 fun scrappy blocks sewn together using various cream and white low volume fabrics.   Big debate - do I make mine bigger or just start adding boarders?  

Coming later this week at the eldest child's request - a jelly roll friendly version with 12 inch blocks.  Here's a sneak peak of my version using a jellyroll of Sweetwater's Authentic and various grey solids for the background fabrics.



Happy sewing, until next time....
Lisa Jo 
@neverlandstitches




No comments:

Post a Comment