Monday, July 31, 2023

HourGlass Patchwork Quilt - Featuring Santa Fe by Riley Blake

 Hi Makers!

I have a remake of one of my free patterns to share with you today.  This quilt pattern The HourGlass Patchwork Quilt and was originally posted on my blog on March 20, 2023.  I have remade the quilt using Riley Blake's new collection, Santa Fe by Gabrielle Neil Design.  

The colors and prints in this collection mirror the colors and feel of the southwest.  The color palette goes from creams, golds, terracotta, denim, sunset, navy, rust, and tan.

The HourGlass Patchwork Quilt is the perfect pattern to be used as a Chemo Quilt, a smaller version for a baby quilt, or a quick gift. 

The quilt is easily broken down into two blocks. I made eight of each block and then added a 3-inch border around the perimeter of the quilt top. 


A key element of this pattern is the quarter square triangle (QST).  Below you will find my favorite method.

I like to use the two half square triangle method, however you are welcome to make your QSTs in the method of your choosing: 

Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of one background  squares {A}. Layer a marked square on an unmarked  print square {A}, right sides together. Sew 1/4" from both sides of the drawn line. Cut the unit apart on the marked line to make two half-square-triangle units. Press Open toward the darker print.


Place the HST's from the previous step with right sides together.  Be sure to nest your seams and that the prints are facing in the opposite directions.  Draw a line from corner to corner opposite of the seamed line.   Sew 1/4" from both sides of the drawn line. Cut the unit apart on the drawn line. Press open and for this pattern trim the QSTs to 5 1/2".
 


I made an ombre version of the HourGlass Patch Quilt with the fabric collection Santa Fe.  In order to achieve this effect, I carried forward a fabric from block one to block two and so on throughout the quilt. I highly recommend using a drying rack and placing your fabric on it in the order in which you plan on using your fabric. I purchased a plastic shoe rack which is 4.5 feet tall by 7 inches wide and use it to plan out my fabric usage.  I also recommend making one block at a time and using a design board to place your blocks on as you make them. 


The yardage for the version I made is as follows: 


Block 1: 

 


Cutting:

Background fabric [3] 6.25-inch squares for the QSTs
Print one [3] 6.25-inch squares for the QSTs
Pint two [4] 5.5-inch squares

Follow the directions above to make the five QST. The one extra QST can be carried forward into the next block.  Use the chart above and to make the block.  Trim the unfinished block to 15.5-inch squares.

Block 2: 
 

Cutting:
Background fabric [3] 6.25-inch squares for the QSTs
Print one [3] 6.25-inch squares for the QSTs
Pint two [4] 5.5-inch squares

Follow the directions above to make the four QST.   Use the chart above and to make the block.  Trim the unfinished block to 15.5-inch squares.

Assembling the quilt:
I assembled the quilt top as I made the blocks and as a row was complete I sewed it to the bottom of the previously completed row. 

Alternate the block one and two for each row.
Example: 
Rows 1 & 3 will have a Block 1, Block 2, Block 1, and Block 2
Rows 2 & 4 will have Block 2, Block 1, Block 2, and Block 1

At this point the quilt top will measure 60 x 60-inches.

If you wish to make the quilt slightly larger, you may make more blocks or add a border.  I added a border. 

For more inspiration, follow me on instagram @neverlandstitches or on Pinterest.

Until next time…I hope you always find something around you that inspires your creativity…

Lisa Jo 



2 comments:

  1. Debby P in Western NYAugust 1, 2023 at 7:24 AM

    Thank you Lisa Jo! I never looked at this pattern in this way before. I love the ombre effect you achieved! Now off to my stash :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hour glass quilt is gorgeous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete